Monday, November 17, 2008

The Secret Mountain Publishing Group


I am a bookworm and always have been. I remember reading Les Misérables in high school and crying when it was over. I wanted more.

From the moment I found out I was pregnant with both of my boys, I started reading out loud whatever I was reading at the time, just for the fun of it. Now I get to read to them everyday and both my boys are already showing a love for books.

My 5 month old has a love for eating books so far, but my Toddler has advanced to wanting me to read stories OVER and OVER...and nothing makes me happier than to oblige him. We will read the same book as much as he wants, and when I start to tire, I will simply start asking him questions about the story-what colors are the characters, what are they doing, where are they going, who are they helping, etc. Books are WONDERFUL teaching and learning tools.

There is so much magic in reading to your children too; new places explored, imaginations expanded. I am so glad my boys are enjoying the family reading time as much as Bill and I do.

A new couple of books we have added to our reading time are courtesy of The Secret Mountain Publishing Group. The books we received from them are so stunningly illustrated with fanciful paintings and drawings that my sons are in love with just staring at the pages.

Many of the children's books from The Secret Mountain have won literary awards, and after seeing my Little Dude's reaction to the books, it is easy to see why. These are the new books we now read over and over and over...but lucky for me, the pictures are so beautiful and the stories so wonderful that I enjoy them as much as my son does.

We have read these three stories, and they became instant classics in our home:

*Down at the Sea Hotel
*A Duck In New York City
*Dream Songs Night Songs From Belgium To Brazil

It is hard to pick a favorite of the three, but I have to say I LOVE the story of A Duck In New York City. The story is about a little duck that keeps getting told that his dream of dancing on Broadway is crazy and will never come true. But the little duck keeps trying, and keeps telling himself, YES I CAN-and in the end, his hard work pays off and he indeed achieves his dream.

How wonderful of a message for young children is that? It is so refreshing to read a story that encourages children to chase their dreams, be them to become a doctor OR a garbage man (yes, right now that is my son's dream). Because, you know, someone has to be a pro baseball player or ballet dancer...or garbage man. So why not? There is no better way to build a child's self esteem then to give them the power of feeling that they CAN do and achieve their goals. And that is just what you'll share when you read A Duck In New York City to your little one.

Another reason I love The Secret Mountain books? They come with CDs. OH AWESOME, because I also love music and LOVE exposing my children to music! It has been so fun to read the stories and listen to the accompanying CDs. The music that goes with Dream Songs Night Songs From Belgium To Brazil is my very favorite-it has lullabies from all around the world, sung in the native languages for your family to enjoy! The music is just beautiful and a fantastic way to introduce other cultures, stories and lullabies to your family.


Want to know where you can get them? Go to The Secret Mountain and order them quickly and easily online! You can also get the books in English or French (easy lullabies are a great starting board for teaching a second language!) for $22.95; CD included with each book.


No comments: