Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Rock of Ages Soundtrack

I love musicals. Any and all, whenever I hear about the "Broadway South" shows coming through our hometown, I start the sweet begging to see one.

My amazing hubby has been so wonderful in taking me to one show almost every year, and making sure we get great seats. We dress up, go eat, (maybe even do a double date night with some friends!) and then go enjoy the show. Yes, my hubby is a keeper, because, you see, he lothes musicals.

He did admit he liked the props for Miss Siagon, but I think that might have been because I kept trying to point out things he must have liked.

When I got to review the Rock of Ages Original Broadway Cast Recording, I knew my husband would roll his eyes and laugh while knowing that he would soon be taking me to see yet another "girl show" (as he calls them). So, while he made fun of me, I popped the CD into the car player, and sat back to watch his expression.

Boy, oh boy, did he respond! First, he quit making fun of me, and actually started to listen to the soundtrack. Then, realizing that Poision and White Snake hits where part of the soundtrack, he shushed me and started looking at the CD cover.

"So what do you think? " I asked.

"I LIKE it", sweet hubby replied.

That is the best review I can ever give a Broadway soundtrack. Anyone that knows me knows that I LOVE Broadway, and I am still sad I missed the 2006 tour of Lion King due to the birth of our son.

My husband though? He is your typical man's man. He loves doing manly stuff, getting dirty, building things, and going to musicals with me because it makes me happy.

But the Rock of Ages soundtrack might be turning him into a Broadway fan. Yes, Rock of Ages, a play set in 1987 in the legendary Sunset Strip rock club tells the story of a small town girl meeting a big city dream and falling in love to songs we all heard growing up: Journey, Bon Jovi, Styx, Reo Speedwagon, pat Benatar, Foreigner, Twisted Sister, Poson, Asia, and Whitsnake.

But you know what my husband (and I) really LOVED about the Rock of Ages soundtrack? The 22 songs aren't cheesy remakes of classic metal rock, but instead are wonderful, heartfelt presentations of the classics with story telling through the music and actors that allows you to enjoy the love story of the Broadway show just by simply playing the CD.

Yes, Rock of Ages Original Broadway Cast Recording is the soundtrack that will make straight men love Broadway.

Making of Soundtrack video: http://tr.im/rsVE

Link to buy album: http://tr.im/rvjv



No comments: